MELBOURNE HISTORICAL RESEARCH GROUP

AREAS ADJACENT TO 'NEW YORK'

The Pingle, developed by the Tomlinson family, Quick Close and New Yard, were demolished and sadly lamented.

Originally an early 19th century farmstead, 
Pingle Cottages were demolished 1969. 
Photograph courtesy of Thomas Tivey. A fine, late 18th century house, 9-11 New 
Yard was originally the home of Edward Hollingworth. 
Photograph courtesy of Philip Heath. Elsie Hulse with Vivien and Enid Edwards on Quick Close. 
Originally a field for growing hawthorns or quicksetts, it was divided into building plots in 1797. 
Photograph courtesy of Gordon Foddy.
Home.
 
Back to Project 1:
Clearance Areas.
Project 2:
Market Gardeners.
Project 3:
Pubs & Clubs.
Project 4:
Before the Reservoir.
Project 5:
Briggs' Diary.
Project 6:
Houses & History.
Funding.
 
Contacts
& links.

Toon's Chip Shop sign 
on High Street.
'A pennorth o' batter bits' was the order.