The reservoir drowned an area both of natural beauty and considerable historic interest.
Among the casualties were Furnace Farm with the remains of the 18th century blast furnace, Calke Mill and the farm house belonging to it, Sir Henry Crewe's gothick bridge c1816 and the lower pond in Calke Park. The Common also included several good stone quarries, brickyards, a coppice and a rabbit warren.
The enclosure of the Common in 1787-1791 changed the face of Melbourne forever, and the construction of the reservoir between c1957 and 1964 split the Common right down the middle.
Pubs & Clubs.
Houses & History.