MELBOURNE HISTORICAL RESEARCH GROUP

JOHN HAIR & SON - THE OLD BREWERY, 1851-1954

John Hair & Son - The Old Brewery, 1851-1954.
Photograph courtesy of John H A Dallman.

Hair's Brewery operated from 1851-1954, adapted from buildings previously used as a worsted warehouse by the Mills family. The brewery had its own tiny pub attached, known as the Barm Tub, but space there was at such a premium that in reality it was a private club for a select few. It was reached by the stone steps projecting into Church Street.

Back to PUBS AND CLUBS