MELBOURNE HISTORICAL RESEARCH GROUP

"NEW YORK" - known as 'The City'

The last house on Moira Street, awaiting demolition, in 1962. 
Photograph courtesy of Eunice Winspear. 'New York' comprised 34 original properties on 4 streets, named after the Hastings family of Donington Hall, as the Donington Estate owned the land until 1813. They were built between 1826-32 by the Melbourne Building Club comprising Messrs Beaumont Child, Thomas Piddock, John Clarkson and others:
  • Moira Street - colloquially, 'Pump Lane';
  • Rawdon Street;
  • Hastings Street;
  • Selina Street.
New housing areas were nicknamed after far-away places.
The Corner Shop, which served the community 
at no 1 Rawdon Street.
Photograph, circa 1970, courtesy of Philip Heath.
Home.
 
Back to Project 1:
Clearance Areas.
Project 2:
Market Gardeners.
Project 3:
Pubs & Clubs.
Project 4:
Before the Reservoir.
Project 5:
Briggs' Diary.
Project 6:
Houses & History.
Funding.
 
Contacts
& links.